- B.S. (Biology), North Park College, Chicago, 1964
- M.S. (Biology), Northeastern Illinois University, Chicago, 1971
- Ph.D. (Cellular Physiology), University of Kansas, 1974
Barton Bergquist examines chemically mediated cell-level effects of chemotherapeutic compounds and the role of calcium and calmodulin in cellular water regulation. Effects on cytoskeletal dynamics as mediated by green tea extracts and other chemicals are also of interest.
Synthesis and biological testing of fluorescent-Pt(II) compounds.With J. C. Chang (UNI chemistry), NIH, Aug. 1, 1987-July 31, 1989, $37,129.
Evaluation of Tetrahymena following treatment with selected agricultural herbicides. With E. Richter (UNI Chemistry), Iowa Dept. of Natural resources, Jan. 1, 1988- Mar. 31, 1989, $10,500.
Multiparameter evaluation of Tetrahymena as a tool for evaluation of agricultural, herbicides in the aquatic environment.With E. Richter (UNI chemistry), Iowa Department of Natural Resources, July 1, 1989-Jan. 31, 1990, 25% time academic year, $12,000.
Agriculture fiber-reinforced recycled plastics.With M. F. Fahmy, Iowa Department of Economic Development, Nov. 1, 1989-June 30, 1991 $67,460; 10% academic year, 50% time summer.
Recycled plastic-fiber composites. With M. F. Fahmy, Carver Grant, UNI Foundation, Jan. 1, 1991-June 31, 1992, $10,000.
Development of mass spectrometer technique for analysis of large biomolecules.With C. Hanson, Iowa Space Grant Consortium, 1993-94, $15,000.
Teaching the dynamics of biology using image analysis.With J. Gerrath, J. Jurgenson & D. Wiens, NSF, June 1995-June 1997, $150,000.
Two trophic level system for production of single-celled protein.With James Jurgenson, Recycled Reuse Technology Transfer Center, 1995-96, $25,000.
Two trophic level system for production of single-celled protein.With James Jurgenson, Recycled Reuse Technology Transfer Center, 1996-97, $15,000.
Computer Science, Engineering, and Mathematics Scholarships (supplemental funding), NSF. WithJoel Haack and Mohammed Fahmy,2001-2004, $264,745.
Curriculum/Research related Computer Infrastructural Support.State Farm Insurance, Priority School support program, $47,950, 2004, With Kevin O'Kane, Paul Gray, Mark Fienup and Ben Schafer.
- Two for Synthesis and method of use of bis(5aminofluorescein)-dichloroplatinum(II).Barton L. Bergquist and James C. Chang, US patent #'s 4,490,543 (1984) and 4,569,932 (1985).
- One for Structural materials from recycled high density polyethylene and herbaceous fibers.Barton L. Bergquist and Mohammed F. Fahmy, US patent # 5,194,461 (1993).
- Disclosed ideas on materials construction and applications, Dec. 2004 (now under review).
- 1976. Bergquist, B. L. and Bovee, E. C.Cadmium:Quantitative methodology and study of its effect upon the locomotor rate of Tetrahymena pyriformis. Acta Protozoologica 15 (no. 4): 471-483.
- 1979. Mathew, A, Bergquist, B. and Zimbrick, J.Synthesis of spin-labelled platinum drugs and interaction with deoxyguanosine. Journal of the Chemical Society Chemical Communications 17: 222-224.
- 1979. Bovee, E.C., Kegley, D. A., Sternshein, D, Wyttenbach, E and Bergquist, B. L. Alleviation of the toxicity of copper to Tetrahymena pyriformis by nontoxic iron.Univ. Kansas Science Bulletin 51 (#24): 679-684.
- 1980. McArdle, E.W., Bergquist, B. L. and Ehret, C. F. Structural changes in Tetrahymena rostrata during induced encystment. J. Protozoology 27(4): 388-397.
- 1988. Bergquist, B. L. Timing microscopical observations with the personal computer.
- Trans. Amer. Micros. Soc. 107: 127134.
- 1989. Bergquist, B. L. Modification of contractile vacuole activity by calmodulin inhibitors. Trans. Am. Micros. Soc. 108(4): 369-379.
- 1989. Bergquist, B. L. Supplemental Test Item File for Concepts of Human Anatomy and Physiology, Wm. C. Brown Publishers, Dubuque, IA, ISBN 0-697-11624-7
- 1991. Lu, M., Chang, J. and Bergquist, B. L.Cellular uptake and toxicity study of CIS-BIS(6-amino-quinoline) dichloro platinum (II). J. Inorgan. Biochem. 42: 231-235.
- 1991. Sigdestad, C., Bergquist, B. L. and Grdina, D. The effect of chemical radiation protectors on cell cycle progression after gamma or neutron irradiation. Cell Prolif. 24:271-280.
- 1993. Nematbakhsh, S. and Bergquist, B. L. Periodicity and the influence of temperature and cellular size on contractile vacuole activity in Tetrahymena. Trans. Amer. Micros. Soc.. 112: 292-305.
- 1994. Bergquist, B. L. "Dandelion floral stems: A model for teaching cellular tonicity," in Biology: Exploring Life, eds. Brum, G.; McKane, L. and Karp, G (New York:John Wiley & Sons), pp. 73-77, (Reprint of previous publication).
- 1994. Bergquist, B. L. "Quantifying intracellular water regulation in a single-celled organism," inBiology: Exploring Life, eds. Brum, G.; McKane, L. and Karp, G (New York:John Wiley & Sons), pp. 343-349, (Reprint of previous publication).
- 1994. Bergquist, B. L. "Quantifying intracellular water regulation in a single-celled organism," inBiology Labs That Work: The Best of How-To-Do-Its, ed. Moore, R (National Association of Biology Teachers), pp.58-64, (Reprint of previous publication).
- Representative Papers Presented
- 1988. Reversibility of some calmodulin inhibitor's effect on contractile vacuole activity in Tetrahymena. Presented to the Society of Protozoologists, Bristol, UK.
- 1989. Modification of contractile vacuole activity by exogenous chemical mixtures.
- Presented to the VIII International Congress of Protozoology, Tsukuba, Japan, July 1989.
- 1990. What controls the contractile vacuole in Tetrahymena? Presented to the Society of Protozoologists, College Park, MD, June 1990.
- 1991. Multiparameter evaluation of the effects of alachlor and atrazine in Tetrahymena. Presented to the Society of Protozoologists, Bozeman, MT, June 1991.
- 1993. Biomolecule analysis using a two dimensional matrix assisted laser desorption (Maldi) time of flight mass spectrometer (TOF-MS).Presented to the 2nd Annual Conference of the Iowa Space Grant Consortium, Cedar Falls, IA (with Just, C. L.; Hanson, C. D.; Duhachek, S. D. and Early, B. G.).
- 1993. Periodicity in contractile vacuole activity of Tetrahymena. Presented to the IX International Congress of Protozoology, Berlin Germany, July 1993 (with Nematbakhsh, S.).
- 1994. Contractile vacuole morphology relative to intercontractile period length and calcium exposure in Tetrahymena thermophila. Presented to the 47th annual meeting of the Society of Protozoologists, Cleveland, OH, June 1994 (with Rhonda Hansen).
- 1996. Effect of calcium upon contractile vacuole function in Tetrahymena thermophila, UNI
- Sigma Xi Student Research Conference, April 13, 1996 (with Robert Bird).
- 1996. Chemotactic behavior and pseudopod characteristics in Netzelia tuberculata. Presented to the 49th annual meeting of the Society of Protozoologists, Tucson, AZ, June 1996 (with Denise Schultz).
- 1997. Effect of cadmium and calcium on the kinetics of contractile vacuole activity in Tetrahymena thermophila. UNI Sigma Xi Student Research Conference, April 1997 (with Robert Bird).
- 1997. Effect of calcium and other cations on contractile vacuole (CV) activity in Tetrahymena thermophila. Presented to the 10th International Congress of Protozoology, Sydney, Australia, July 1997.
- 1998. Effect of calcium modifiers upon contractile vacuole activity in Tetrahymena. UNI Sigma Xi Student Research Conference (with S. Smith).
- 2001. Image analysis of chemically mediated change in the function of the contractile vacuole in the ciliate Tetrahymena thermophila. Presented to the 10th International Congress of Protozoology, Salzburg, Austria, July 2001.
- 2004. Motile behavior in Netzelia modification by a signal transduction inhibitor.Presented to the undergraduate student research conference, University of Northern Iowa, Cedar Falls, IA July 2004 (with Chelsey Wille).
- 2005. Chemotactic behavior and modified signal transduction in Netzelia,Wille, C. and Bergquist, B., Presented to the 12th International Congress of Protozoology, Guangzhou, China, July 2005.