McCollum Science Hall 104
- BA in Biology--Bethel College (North Newton, Kansas)
- MA in Physiology and Cell Biology--University of Kansas PhD in Cell and Developmental Biology--Kansas State University
- Post-Doc in Cell Biology--Instituto Politecnico Nacional, Mexico
- D.F Post-Doc in Cell and Developmental Biology, Stanford University School of Medicine Post-Doc in Molecular Developmental Biology, Ohio Agricultural
- Research and Development Center, Ohio State University
Developmental Biology of Animals, Anatomy and Physiology, Adhesions and Junctions Among Cells. BIOLOGY. Cell differentiation; morphogenesis; the influence of extracellular macromolecules on development; cytoskeleton changes; gravitational biology; cardiac myogenesis; stem cells; birth defects.
Darrell Wiens focuses on cell motility and the cytoskeleton during development, cadherins during development, secondary neurulation, neural crest cells, heart development, and gravitational biology.
- Wiens, Darrell, Lisa Jensen, Jill Jasper, and Jennifer Becker (1995). Developmental expression of connexins in the chick embryo myocardium and other tissues. Anatomical Record 241:541-553.
- Wiens, Darrell J. (1996). A perspective on cell sheet migration directed by adhesion molecules in embryos: The pattern of fibronectin during heart formation in the chick embryo. Journal of Theoretical Biology 179:33-39.
- Orris, April S. And Darrell Wiens (1999). Isotretinoin alters morphology, polarity, and motility of migrating neural crest cells in culture. Reproductive Toxicology 13(1):45-52.
- Lwigale, Peter Y., Joel E. Thurmond, William N. Norton, Brian S. Spooner and Darrell J. Wiens (2000). Simulated microgravity and hypergravity attenuate heart development in explant culture, Cells Tissues Organs 167:171-183.
- L.C. Fuller, S.K. Cornelius, C.W. Murphy, D.J. Wiens (2002). Neural crest cell motility in valproic acid. Reproductive Toxicology 16 (6): 825-839.
- Darrell J. Wiens, Dayna J. Depping, Stacey R. Wallerich, Emily S. Van Laar, and Angela L. Juhl (2003). Factors influencing biology interest among undergraduate majors: Gender matters. Journal of College Science Teaching 33(1):32-36.
- Remus, R. and D. Wiens (2008). The Effects of Hypergravity on the Morphology of Xenopus Embryos. American Journal of Undergraduate Research 7(2):19-26.
- Olson W.M., D.J. Wiens, T.L. Gaul, M. Rodriguez, and C.L. Hauptmeier (2008). Development From Late Gastrulation To Feeding Tadpole In Simulated Microgravity. International Journal of Developmental Biology 54(1):167-174.
- Mwakikunga, A.R., A.L. Clubine, and D.J. Wiens (2011). Homocysteine and Cardiac Neural Crest Cell Cytoskeletal Proteins in the Chick Embryo. Int. J. Biology 3(2):43-56.
- Kacie Flaherty, Alicia Paulson, Ashley Adamson and Darrell Wiens (2012). Expression of cadherin-11 during organogenesis in the chick embryo. Int. J. Biology 4(1):36-48.