- Ph.D. Curriculum and Instruction, University of Idaho, 2005
- M.S. Entomology, University of Idaho, 1998
- B.A. Biology, English, Concordia College, Moorhead, MN, 1996
My research focuses on methods to better prepare teachers of STEM in pedagogy and content as well as exploring low-cost methods for attracting students to fields in Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics.
I currently run the Iowa Near-Space Program Integrating Research and Education (INSPIRE) program. The project trains pre-service teachers in STEM and social studies fields to have students design, build, launch, and recover homemade satellites capable of reaching altitudes of 110,000 above sea-level.
My Master's degree focused on factors of the acquisition and inoculation of potato leafroll virus (PLRV) by the Green Peach Aphid (Myzus persicae) on Russet-Burbank potatoes.
- Crow, J.E., T. J. Kennedy, M.R.L. Odell, J.D. Ophus & J.T. Abbitt. (2013). Using Just-in-Time PD to Technologically Prepare High School STEM Teachers, in: Capraro, M.M., R.M. Capraro, & C.H. Lewis (Eds). Improving Urban Schools: Equity and Access in K-16 STEM Education. Information Age Publishing, Charlotte, N.C. 208 p.
- Ophus, J.D. and Abbitt, J.T. (2009). Exploring the Potential and Perceptions of Social Networking Systems in University Courses. MERLOT Journal of Online Teaching and Learning. 5(4): 639-648.
- Abbitt. J.T. and J.D. Ophus. What have WebQuests Taught Us? An Analysis of Current Research. (2008). Association for the Advancement of Computing in Education Journal. (AACEJ). 16(4): 441-456.
- Mowry, T. M. and Ophus, J. D. (2006). Influence of the Potato leafroll virus and virus-infected plants on the arrestment of the aphid, Myzus persicae. Journal of Insect Science. 2006. 6(22): 8 pp.
- Graves, S., Odell, M., Ewers, T. and Ophus, J. (2004). A Model for Reform in Teaching Integrated Science: Promoting Scientific Literacy Among Undergraduate Non-Science Majors, in Sunal, D.W., Wright, E.L., and Blands, J., (eds.) Research in Science Education: Reform in Undergraduate Science Teaching for the 21st Century (pp. 477-493). Greenwich, CT: Information Age Publishing Inc.
- Mowry, T.M. and Ophus, J.D. 2002. Effects of sub-lethal imidacloprid levels on potato leafroll virus transmitted by Myzus persicae. Entomolgia Experimentalis et Applicata. 103:249-255.