McCollum Science Hall 91
- Ph.D. (2005) Department of Botany, University of Toronto, Canada. Collaborative Program in Developmental Biology.
- B. Sc. (1999) Biological Sciences (Major: Biology, Minor: Zoology), University of Toronto, Canada.
- Honors B.A. (1996) Humanities (Major: Studio/Fine Arts, Minor: Art History), McMaster University, Canada.
Developmental Plant Anatomy, Plant Morphology and Evolution, Light Microcscopy Methods in Biology, Cell Structure and Function
My research program is to understand the evolution and homology of leaf shape and vein pattern. We use a variety of plant species to investigate this correlation. Some of our projects include:
- Investigating the evolution of compound and simple leaves in the genus Ampelopsis (Vitaceae). Homologous structures are studied using histological, molecular, and morphometric techniques.
- Analyzing vein pattern in compound leaves of tomato (Solanum lycopersicum). Vascular marker genes, AtHB-8::GUS and DR5::VENUS, is used to visualize developing vascular strands so that vein pattern can be mapped during leaf development.
- Morning glory leaf mutants are analyzed to determine how morphogenic competency along the blade margin changes based on leaf shape.
- Jones A, Doughan B, Gerrath J, Kang J. (2013) Development of leaf shape in two North American species of Ampelopsis (Vitaceae). Botany 91: 857-865.
- Townsley BT, Sinha NR, Kang J. (2013) KNOX1 genes regulate lignin deposition and composition in monocots and dicots. Frontiers in Plant Evolution and Development. 4 (121): 1-11.
- Kang J, Brady SM. (2012) Spatiotemporal regulation of vascular patterning. In "The Plant Vascular System: From Evolution to Function". J. Integrative Biology. Ed. W. Lucas. 55(4): 294-388.
- Alakonya A, Kumar R, Koenig D, Kimura S, Townsley B, Runo S, Garces HM, Kang J, Yanez A, David-Swartz R, Machuka J, Sinha N. (2012) Interspecific RNA interference of SHOOT MERISTEMLESS-Like disrupts Cuscuta pentagona plant parasitism. Plant Cell 24: 3153-3166.
- Kang J, Sinha N. (2011) Regulation of Leaf Shape in Yearbook of Science and Technology. McGraw-Hill, New York, NY.
- Kang J, Sinha N. (2010) Leaflet initiation is temporally and spatially separated in simple and complex tomato (Solanum lycopersicum) leaf mutants: a developmental analysis. Botany 88: 710-724.
- Koenig D, Bayer E, Kang J, Kuhlemeier C, Sinha N. (2009) Auxin patterns Solanum lycopersicum leaf morphogenesis. Development 136: 2997-3006
- Kimura S, Koenig D, Kang J, Yoong FY, Sinha N. (2008) Natural variation in leaf morphology results from mutation of a novel KNOX gene. Current Biology 18: 672-677.
- Kang J, Mizukami Y, Wang H, Fowke L, Dengler NG. (2007) Modification of cell proliferation patterns alters leaf vein architecture in Arabidopsis thaliana. Planta 226: 1207-1218.
- Kang J, Dengler NG. (2004) Vein pattern development in adult leaves of Arabidopsis. International Journal of Plant Sciences 165: 231-242.
- Kang J, Dengler NG (2004) Leaf Architecture – regulation of leaf position, shape and internal structure. In Plant Architecture and its Manipulation, Annual Plant Reviews, Vol. 17. (Turnbull, C., ed), Blackwell Publishing: UK.
- Kang J, Tang J, Donnelly PM, Dengler NG. (2003) Primary vascular pattern and expression of ATHB-8 in shoots of Arabidopsis. New Phytologist 158: 443-454.
- Dengler NG, Kang J (2003) Plant growth and development: Leaf development. Encyclopedia of Applied Plant Sciences. (Thomas B, Murphy DJ, Murray BG. eds.). Elsevier: UK.
- Kang J, Dengler NG. (2002) Cell cycling frequency and expression of the homeobox gene ATHB-8 during leaf vein development in Arabidopsis. Planta 216: 212-219.
- Jesson L, Kang J, Wagner S, Barrett SCH, Dengler NG. (2002).The development of enantiostyly. American Journal of Botany 90: 183-195.
- Dengler NG, Kang J. (2000) Vascular patterning and leaf shape. Current Opinions in Plant Biology 4: 50-6.