- Ph.D. Biological Oceanography (1996) Massachusetts Institute of Technology/Woods Hole Oceanographic Institution
- B.S. Marine Science (1990) Eckerd College, St. Petersburg, FL
I am interested in studying the sublethal effects of contaminants in aquatic ecosystems. Currently, I am focusing on two contaminants of interest in Iowa: phosphorus and atrazine. My students and I, along with Dr. Ed Brown and Dr. Mohammad Iqbal, are studying phosphorus in local lakes, as well as potential methods to reduce phosphorus bioavailability. We have also investigated the production of microcystin-LR by cyanobacteria in local lakes. We are also examining the effects of atrazine, an endocrine disruptor, on human cell proliferation in collaboration with Dr. Kavita Dhanwada and on fish reproductive physiology in collaboration with Dr. Pete Berendzen.
- An Iowa Undergraduate Interdisciplinary Research Program: Protecting Water Quality in Iowa Lakes and Wetlands, 1999-2004, funded by the Roy J. Carver Charitable Trust and the Iowa Space Grant Consortium ($600,000)
- Microcystin-LR: A Potential Contaminant of Concern for Iowa Surface Waters, 2000-2001, funded by the Iowa State Water Resources Research Institute ($16,000)
- An Investigation of the Proteotoxicity of Pesticides to Chironomus tentans, a Model Non-Target Species, 2000-2002, funded by UNI CNS Applied Technology Research Grant ($44,000)
- Remote Sensing of Water Quality (UNI/KSC collaboration), 2004-2005, funded by NASA ($40,000)
- Hyperspectral Remote Sensing Data and GIS Tools to Assess Water Quality in Coastal Areas and Shallow Inland Lakes, 2004-2007, funded by Iowa Space Grant Consortium ($90,000)
- The Advanced Technology Environment and Energy Center: A Resource Center, 2007-2009, funded by NSF ATE ($756,647)
- Anaerobic Nutrient Removal System, 2008, funded by the Grow Iowa Values Fund ($10,000)
- Sugumaran, R., N. Green and M.E. Clayton. 2007. Monitoring intra-annual water quality variations using airborne hyperspectral remote sensing data in Iowa lakes. Journal of Applied Remote Sensing 1:13533-13545.
- Iqbal, M.Z., E.J. Brown and M.E. Clayton. 2006. Distribution of phosphorus in a biologically restricted lake in Iowa, USA. Journal of Hydrology 326:349-366.
- Schwemm, A.K., R. Pasker, M.E. Clayton and E.J. Brown. 2006. Phosphorus sorption by sediments from wetlands in the Cedar River Watershed. American Journal of Undergraduate Research 5(3):21-28.
- Clayton, M.E., S. Liegois and E.J. Brown. 2004. Phosphorus sequestration in lake sediment with iron mine tailings. Soil and Sediment Contamination13(5):519-529.
- Dhanwada, K.R., Y. Deng and M.E. Clayton. 2003. Effects of the pesticides atrazine, metolachlor and diazinon and binary mixtures on proliferation of human fibroblasts. International Journal of Global Health 2(2):21-36.
- Clayton, M.E., R. Steinmann and K. Fent. 2000. Different expression patterns of heat shock proteins hsp 60 and hsp 70 in zebra mussels (Dreissena polymorpha) exposed to copper and tributyltin. Aquatic Toxicology 47:213-226.