If you are looking into a pre-professional program, there are many different fields to enter. Below is information about each field, including program requirements/recommendations, exam information, lists of professional organizations in that field, and many other tools!
Chiropractic Medicine (DC)
CCE - Council on Chiropractic Education
- The CCE is the agency recognized by the US Secretary of Education for accreditation of programs and institutions offering the doctor of chiropractic degree. CCE seeks to insure the quality of chiropractic education in the United States by means of accreditation, educational improvement, and public information. CCE develops accreditation criteria to assess how effectively programs or institutions plan, implement, and evaluate their mission and goals, program objectives, inputs, resources, and outcomes of their chiropractic programs. The CCE is also recognized by the Council for Higher Education Accreditation (CHEA) and is a member of the Association of Specialized and Professional Accreditors (ASPA).
Chiropractic 3+1 Agreements
The UNI Department of Biology has partnered with Palmer College of Chiropractic, Logan University, and Cleveland Chiropractic College to offer students a pathway to chiropractic school where students complete three years and a minimum of 90 credits at UNI before starting chiropractic school. Through these 90 credits students will meet UNI's liberal arts core requirements, Department of Biology foundational science courses, and the chiropractic school's prerequisites. After successful completion of one year (three trimesters) at the chiropractic school, students would send UNI an official transcript from their chiropractic school and would be awarded a UNI Bachelor of Arts degree in Biology. See "Joint Programs" in the UNI Catalog for further details. Each program is slightly different so you are encouraged to contact the Department of Biology Academic Advisor, Linda Reardon-Lowry and the admissions staff at the chiropractic school of interest.
Dental Medicine/Doctor of Dental Surgery (DDS)
List of US Dental Schools
DAT - Dental Admission Test
ADA - American Dental Association (Career and admissions information)
ASDA - American Student Dental Association
SMDEP - Summer Medical & Dental Education Program
ADEA - American Dental Education Association
AAFS - American Academy of Forensic Sciences
AUPHA - Association of University Programs in Health Administration
Medical Laboratory Sciences
Medicine: Allopathic (MD), Osteopathic (DO), and Podiatric (DPM) Medicine
Hospitals in the state of Iowa - Check out their employment and volunteer/job shadowing websites to see if they have something for you!
The Basics: The Road to Becoming a Doctor - This link includes information and resources on the MCAT exam, as well as applying and interviewing for medical school
SNMA - Student National Medical Association
Regional Allopathic, Osteopathic, and Podiatric Schools
- University of Iowa Carver College of Medicine
- Des Moines University Doctor of Osteopathic Medicine
- University of Minnesota Medical School
- Mayo Medical School
- University of Nebraska Medical Center College of Medicine
- Creighton University School of Medicine
- Des Moines University College of Podiatric Medicine and Surgery
Alpha Epsilon Delta - The Health Pre-Professional Honor Society
AAFP - American Academy of Family Physicians
University of Utah School of Medicine self-assessment
Allopathic Medicine (MD) Information
AMCAS - Centralized American Medical College Application Service for Allopathic Schools
AAMC - Association of American Medical Colleges
MCAT - Medical College Admission Test
Osteopathic Medicine (DO) Information
AACOMAS - American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine (DO) Application Service
AACOM - American Association of Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
List of US Colleges of Osteopathic Medicine
SOMA - Student Osteopathic Medical Assocation
Map of where Osteopathic Medical Colleges are located
Podiatric Medicine (DPM) Information
AACPMAS - American Association of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine Application Service
- AACPMAS provides a simplified process of applying the schools and colleges of podiatric medicine. Applicants complete one application and submit it with corresponding materials to the centralized service. AACPMAS verifies the application components for accuracy, calculates the applicant's grade point average (GPA), and delivers the materials to the podiatric schools and colleges that the applicant designates.
APMA - American Podiatric Medicine Association
List of Colleges of Podiatric Medicine
UNI currently has a 3+1 program with Allen College of Nursing.
- Biology 3+1 students complete three years of their Biology BA degree at UNI incorporating pre-requisite courses needed to transition onto the Bachelor of Nursing program at Allen College. For course information see our Advising Guide.
- Senior level Biology course work is waived after completing Allen’s accelerated (16 months) BSN Program. Allen transcripts are sent to UNI to award the BA in Biology Degree.
- Earn two degrees: BA in Biology from the UNI and a Bachelor of Science Nursing (BSN) from Allen College.
- A Biology Degree allows students opportunities outside of nursing in healthcare or other fields.
- Cost savings
CNA classes through Hawkeye Community College
OTCAS - Occupational Therapist Centralized Application Service
Orthotist & Prosthesis
Grade Replacement Policies
Each centralized application service has its own rules and policies about how repeated courses factor into your GPA. The following is a list of the policies of several centralized application services. Please always check the application services sites to verify current information.
- AACOMAS (DO - Medical): Only the most recent repeated course grade will be included in GPA calculation
- AACPMAS (Podiatry): Both the original course grade and repeated course grade(s) will be included in GPA calculation
- AADSAS (Dental): Both the original course grade and repeated course grade(s) will be included in GPA calculation
- AMCAS (MD - Medical): Both the original course grade and repeated course grade(s) will be included in GPA calculation
- CASPA (Physician Assistant): Both the original course grade and repeated course grade(s) will be included in GPA calculation
- OPTOMCAS (Optometry): Only the most recent repeated course grade will be included in GPA calculation*
- PHARMCAS (Pharmacy): Both the original course grade and repeated course grade(s) will be included in GPA calculation
- PTCAS (Physical Therapy): Original course grade, repeated course grade(s), and withdrawn courses will all be included in GPA calculation
- SOPHAS (Public Health): Only the most recent repeated course grade will be included in GPA calculation
- VMCAS (Veterinarian): Only the most recent repeated course grade will be included in GPA calculation
*If you have repeated a course at a different institution that grade WILL be included in GPA calculation